Monday, September 13, 2010

GOAL ATTACK, GOAL DEFENCE

Forgive the netball analogy. I watch so much of the bloody game all year...

One of the preseason tasks was to set our goals.  1 Month. 3 Month. 6 Month. 12 Months.  With a "How will I get there" for each.

When I initially wrote them out, I was quite modest with my weight loss goals. And probably a bit vague about how:
1 month - lose first 2 kg
Following exercise and nutrition plan
3 months - lose 6 kg total
Be exercising every day as a habit.
Exercise and nutrition plan.
6 months -lose 10 kg total -
Fit back into size 12-14 clothes.
Yep - that exercise and nutrition plan.
12 months - lose 15kg total - that last tricky 5 kg
Back into a Size 12.

I know many others have incorporated a physical challenge as well, but I'm not sure what. I know that I can do long bike rides. I've done a 2km 'ocean' swim (Coffs Harbour Jetty Swim). OK, I haven't done a triathlon, or a marathon, but, having tried running and having to pay too much in chiropractic to fix me up each time, I'd already decided that I really do have to stick to non-impact exercise.

That could well change I guess. If  (I mean WHEN) I end up 15kg lighter, then it's a lot less weight impact on my joints, and lower back, isn't it?  It's just with the back, and more recently the joint issues I've had, I'm really having to be a bit careful.

There's always a big long walk!  Anyone want to climb a mountain with me? Oxfam trail walk?

Or we could get back into our canoeing...


Anyway - back to the modest goals. I'm wondering if I'm not aiming high enough...  I tend to operate like this - the old - 'aim low' and anything on top of that is a bonus' - which probably isn't a good thing.

If I was completely honest with myself, I really would  like to lose those 10kg by the end of the 12 weeks.

I'm going to see what my Wednesday weigh-in brings. If I've managed to lose another 1 kg just doing preseason with pretty much just the virtuous eating, then I think I can really up the ante with the program proper, and revise those goals.

**********************
Yesterday I managed to do NO EXERCISE. (I'm checking back on what sort of excuse the cricked neck I woke up with would be!)  However I did very well with the eating, so I'm not beating myself up too much about it.  Yet another day of restrained virtuosity where it hit me again just how much I would normally be scoffing. Honestly, it's a wonder I'm not another 10-20kg heavier... Rather than being cheesed that I had still slowly put on weight despite all the bike riding etc, I should be thankful that 'all that riding' has saved me from totally blowing out.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Tracey - I sent a big long comment to your last post, but it didn't work!?!? Not to worry. Good luck with the 'do' and I would second the idea of a thrift shop find. Particularly seeing you about to embark on a transformation!
    I think your goals are very realistic and achievable. You're right about the less weight/ easier exercise idea - I can see the logic in that. I'm hoping it will work for me too.
    To be honest, I think the thing I will miss the most is my nightly glass of wine while I'm cooking dinner. Obviously will have to change my routine I think.
    Keep up the good work, it sounds as if you really have got your head around it all! Re the exercise goal bit - how about climbing Mt Warning!!!? That would be a goal for me - but you may have already done it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy! Did you sign up?!

    Yes, the nightly wine... "I love to cook with wine - sometimes I even put it in the food." Since I signed up, I've had only a couple of half glasses of wine - but I've pretty much gotten past the cravings. It's crazy - once dinner is on the table I'm right.. it was just the cooking process. Somehow I've been making do with water...

    Would be happy to come up and climb Mt Warning with you. Yes, I have done it a couple of times - that is my middle daughter's first "Mountain" - walked up there when she was 4!

    I would love to do it for the sunrise! Never done that!

    There's also those Glasshouse Mountains! Have been up a couple, but would love to do them again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol Tracey - yes I have signed up. Just this morning. Twisted my own arm to do it. I had to go out and do a few things this morning so I haven't done anything else yet. Will do so later today. When I was out - just to go the whole hog - I bought the Michelle Bridges cookbook. Sheeesh it's only another $25.
    I'd like to do Mt.Warning so that might be fun at the 12Wk mark. I have to only hope that my fitness level has improved by then. No thanks to Glasshouse Mts - at least MtW is civilised and has steps doesn't it? Besides - if your daughter did that when she was only 4 that means there's hope for me yet.
    The nightly wines. Oops I meant wine. Hmmm. Maybe there is a patch like Nicorette. No? Well maybe water or a cuppa might do it. You're right though it is only the cooking bit.

    I might surprise myself and actually get somewhere with this challenge! Here's hoping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're definitely going to get somewhere with this - we all are!

    There's a Glasshouse Mtn that isn't too scary - probably a good warm up for Mt W. And it has a track. Forget name right now, but I'll look it up later. Will email you!

    ReplyDelete